Skip to main content

Full text of "My country and my people"

See other formats

newspapers in London and New York began to publish them. A Chinese opium dealer in Tinghsien (near Peiping) was arrested but had to be released on a telegram from the Japanese authorities in Peiping. Japanese tourists went round inspecting the libraries of Tsing Hua and other universities of Peiping and Shanghai, and the Chinese college authorities were notified by municipal authorities to hide away or destroy volumes of Chinese modern history that might mention the loss of Manchuria. Two harmless humorous skits on Hirota had to be taken out of a collection of my essays before my publishers in Shanghai dared to publish them. A comment of mine in an English weekly at Shanghai on the increase of Japanese influence and the wisdom of studying Japanese brought a sharp warning from the Chief of the Intelligence Bureau of the Foreign Ministry, who had just returned from a trip to Japan, and the manager of the weekly had to take a hurried night-train trip immediately to Nanking to arrange matters and promise to behave. No editorial in the Chinese papers at Shanghai that I ever read in those years touched or was permitted to touch on Japan. A contributed article in the New Life Weekly (Hsin Shenghuo Chouk'an}, characterizing the "Emperor of Manchukuo" as a "puppet of a puppet," caused the Shanghai Chinese Court, under direct Japanese pressure, to sentence the manager Tu to a fourteen-month imprisonment, and a young reader, reading that a certain Tu died during this period and mistaking it for the patriotic manager, committed suicide. One student demonstration staged by the students of Fuh Tan and other universities of Shanghai, was denied railway facilities for a trip to demonstrate before the Nanking authorities. The students captured the cars and engineer students ran the locomotives, but the Chinese authorities tore up the rails and compelled the students to disperse and return after reaching Soochow. Another demonstration of Shanghai universities was planned but frustrated by Chinese gendarmes entering the boys' and girls' dormitories at Fuh Tan on the night of March 24th, 1936, and arresting eight students, and the next day, apart from the English papers which published the incident as a front-page story, the Chinese papers fcame out with a small note of the incident, and a bland report